Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mommy's Helper

Now that I'm staying home it has been fun and challenging trying to keep my 3 yr old occupied. Arden (a girl) is very active. I always joke that she has two speeds: 0 ( asleep) and 90 mi/ hr. She has been this way since she was born. She is so fun, but she can be very tiring, especially with a newborn at home. Mom just can't keep up! Arden is also very social and does not like to play alone. Soooo in order to get things done around the house I really have to make cleaning a game so that she can help and keep her busy at the same time. I know this is not a new concept, but this has really saved me. Arden sweeps, mops, puts the laundry in the dryer, helps fold washrags (sometimes the same one over and over again but she doesn't know that), dust, and wipe counters. She even helps with the cooking and baking!

I have definitely learned patience as I've gotten older. With my first kid, Halle, I was impatient with how long it took to get things accomplished if I let her "help.". I'd rather knock it all out quickly instead. This was fine with her, too, because she played by herself a lot and could keep herself occupied while I cooked and cleaned. But still I wish I had taken the time and been patient enough to let her help. The kids feel very accomplished when they have helped with a chore and you have spent quality time with them. They also learn life skills in the process.

And now I enjoy having a helper. She really does contribute if I'm patient. Arden's favorite thing to do is get a wipe and wipe down everything. She'll wipe the coffee table, floor, baseboards, and whatever else she can find to wipe! When she's done she yells, "Mommy, I done! I cleaned!". In the meantime I may have got a toilet cleaned or the dishes done. Killed two birds with one stone. It's great!!!

2 comments :

  1. I am so glad to see you blogging! Your pictures also make it look like you bake a lot! Don't start making the rest of us stay at home moms look bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could've switched the name Arden out and put in Annabel, and it's the EXACT same story! I would say we should get together and let them play, but that may not be the best idea... :)

    ReplyDelete