Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Halle for President!

****************UPDATE***************************************************
Halle won!  There were 7 candidates total, and she was voted in as president.  I'm so happy for her!  Congratulations, Halle.  You deserve it!

*****************************************************************************

November 6.  Election Day for our country.  Well move over Barack and Mitt because there's someone else running for president- Halle Hargrave!  Haha, just kidding.  Halle is running for student council president at her school, Hancock Elementary.

Posters

We have been working hard all week on her campaign.  This has been serious business.  In order to be considered in the running she had to submit essay questions and get 25 nominations.  Now that she is a candidate she will have to give a video speech.  We have also made posters to hang in her school, made her a campaign shirt, and made stickers for her to pass out. 

This has been a great opportunity and learning experience for Halle.  If you know Halle then you know that she is a bit shy and soft-spoken.  She has been practicing her speech repeatedly and is learning a lot about public speaking:  eye contact, speaking loudly, speaking slowly, enunciating, smiling, and speaking with passion. 
stickers for other students to wear





closeup of one of the stickers
 We came up with a couple of campaign slogans:  "Rally for Halle!" and "Remember the 4 H's- Halle Hargrave 4 Hancock Hawks!"  Cheesy I know, but we're trying to win the votes of 10 year-olds. 

Hancock's election is later this week, and according to Halle the competition is stiff.  I'll update you as to whether or not she wins.  Win or lose, I'm proud of her for being bold and taking on this challenge!  I love my Halle Monster!  Below is the questionnaire that she had to submit.  She did this on her own.  I just proof-read it and did slight editing. 

 
Questionnaire for Student Council 

Halle Hargrave
1.       Why do you want to be a Student Council officer?

I want to be a student council officer because I care about helping other people, my school, and the environment.  I feel that this job will help me accomplish good outcomes for those three important things.  I want to make sure that every student has a voice when it comes to his/her education. 

 
2.      Describe your leadership characteristics.

I am very creative.  I am capable of coming up with new ideas for the student council and the school.  I am very honest and trustworthy.  I will be responsible and committed to the goals that the student council sets.  I am also a kind person and a good listener.  If any student comes to me with an idea, I will give him/her my attention.  I promise that I will be available everyday to listen to my classmates’ ideas.  Lastly, I am not a quitter.  I follow through with projects to make sure they are complete and done right.  If something doesn’t work the first time then I do not give up until it’s right. 

 
3.      What can you accomplish for the school if you become an officer?

One of my biggest concerns for the school is keeping it clean and eco-friendly.  When I become an officer I can accomplish tasks such as organizing a committee that keeps the school environment clean.  The committee could perform jobs such as picking up trash from the playground.  I would also make an effort to recognize those employees that keep our school safe and running; such as teachers, custodians, and those that serve us in the lunch lines.  I would also establish a program that recognizes students who work hard to keep our school clean as well. 

 
In closing, there are many things that I can make possible if I become an officer of the student council.  I will work hard and rally the other members of the student body to meet our goals.  When we all put our heads together then anything is possible.  Thank you.   
 


 

2 comments :

  1. Hopefully she'll have better luck than the Reickenbacker/Warren ticket of '94! :)

    ReplyDelete