Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shoeless and Tired

I've been running Halle around all summer for camps, sleepovers, practices, etc.  I enjoy it and try to stay on top of things, but with two other kids and a busy schedule, I put a lot of responsibility on her to keep track of her extracurriculars.  Basketball camp is the third camp this summer Halle has gone to (if you count VBS.)  The first day she left her tennis shoes in her dad's truck from the weekend triathlon.  Seeing that her foot is a size 9 and I'm a 6 1/2, my tennis shoes won't fit.  I rushed next door and grabbed a pair of Jessica's shoes so Halle could wear them.  She barely made it on time to the first day..

I told her to make sure that she got her shoes out of the truck that evening so she would have them for camp the following day.  She forgot.  She also overslept.  So she didn't go to camp on day 2.  I was irritated with her for not being responsible.  I said something along the lines of "I've paid for this camp, Halle, because you said you wanted to go.  You're wasting our money if you don't wake up on time and make sure you have all of your stuff ready to go!"

Well I guess I made her feel guilty because she brought me a 20 dollar bill out of her piggy bank to pay me for her missed day of camp!  I didn't tell her to do that.  And I didn't take it.  But I was glad to see that she was taking responsibility for her actions.

In my efforts to raise self-sufficient human beings, I'm glad that she realizes that mommy isn't going to constantly hold her hand.  

I told her that if she didn't wake up on time for Day 3 then I WAS going to take her money, though!  Ha!  She woke up extra early.  And had her shoes.  :)

No comments :

Post a Comment