Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Big Girls Don't Cry

Have you ever been amazed at how one thought leads to another?  Or how a conversation can change topics ten times in a matter of five minutes.  Funny how the brain works....

Arden tends to whine anytime she gets nudged or pushed the wrong way.  She's not even hurt, but feels like she has to vocalize her "pain."  I got on to her last week about being whiny, and to not cry unless she's really hurt. Me: "Sometimes when someone pushes you, it's an accident.  Just tell them it's ok; there's no need to cry about it.  In fact, I don't want you coming to me crying unless I see blood or broken bones.  Big girls don't cry"  Tough love ;)

The next day we were all sitting in the living room.  Arden proceeded to tell me that while she was on the playground at VBS someone accidentally pushed her and made her fall off of the monkey bars.  I asked her if she cried.  She said that she didn't because she was a big girl and it didn't really hurt that much and it was an accident.  I told her that I was proud of her for being a big girl.   I started singing the Frankie Vallie and the Four Season's lyrics to Big Girls Don't Cry (not the Fergie version :).  Brian then pulled the song up on YouTube and Arden started dancing to it.  She thought it was so funny when they sing, "They don't cry-yi-yi!"  We then got into a conversation with Halle about fifties and sixties music.  Brian then continued to play other hits from that era.   [disclaimer :) my kids are allowed to talk  to me about anything, can shed tears, and can express their feelings.  I'm referring to crying in this context as unwarranted whining/tattling]

Brian and I sat for a good two hours thinking of old songs and playing them while the girls listened.  Halle recognized a few here and there from shows or movies which then led to a number of movie conversations.  Finally we got off of the fifties and sixties and headed into the eighties and nineties.  The whole time Arden danced.  She danced to everything from "Love Potion #9" and "Yakety Yak"  to "Walk Like an Egyptian" and "Locomotion" 

We spent the whole evening hanging out together listening to classic hits.  All because Arden fell off of the monkey bars......

1 comment :