Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Paw Paw and Granny's house

My dad lives in New Waverly, TX, along with my grandmother (Granny.)  New Waverly is a small town close to Huntsville, and is where I used to spend my summers growing up as a kid.  The house is on two acres of land, has a small pond, and is surrounded by lots of nature.  Even now my dad has his own water well, there's no trash service, the cell phone towers are too far to get good reception, and you can't get cable TV/internet on his land.  It's funny to think how primitive it still is considering the town is only an hour from Houston.  I had to use my imagination to keep myself entertained all of those summers that I spent there.  I drew lots of pictures, made mudpies in the dirt, rode my bike, swung on a swingset that my Dad built, and played with my granny's numerous dogs and cats. 

Now my kids love going to PawPaw and Granny's house.  They get to swing on the same swingset, make mudpies in the dirt, and play with Maggie, their little dog. 

Jack, Brian, and Maggie

My dad has taken up several hobbies over the years.  He is excellent at woodworking, can build practically anything, and is very meticulous.  Besides his favorite pasttimes, hunting and fishing, he has made intricately detailed model airplanes, built wood furniture, made bottles and bottles of wine, brewed his own beers, and built a smokehouse for smoking meats and making sausages.  One of his current hobbies is gardening.  He has turned a large portion of the backyard into a garden full of many fruits and veggies.

We visited him not too long ago and helped him plant some fruits and vegetables. 
Country Boy

PawPaw and Jack talking to each other


Arden and Brian planting seeds
My dad always send us home with homemade sausage, newly brewed beer, and lots and lots of produce!

1 comment :

  1. That picture of your dad and Jack is adorable! I have lots of memories of playing Egyptian War and Speed in your Granny's beauty shop. :)

    ReplyDelete