Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tulips

I wish someone would have been in the room videotaping Arden and I during this dialogue.

I was making some paper flowers for a craft and Arden was helping.  I was paying more attention to my craft than I was to the conversation I was having with her; otherwise I would have caught it sooner.

She's got paper flowers in her hands and is playing with them:
Me:  "Those are tulips."
Her: "Lips?"
Me: "Those flowers are tulips."
Her: "Lups?"
Me: "No, tulips!"
Her: "Ma'am?"
Me: "Tooooo- liiiiiiiips"
Her: "liiiiiiiips"
Me: "No!!!  Tulips"
Her:  "lips"
Me:  "Arden, they are tulips. Tulips.  Tulips.  They're called tulips."
Her: "Lups?"

I kid you not, this went on for a good two minutes.  Like I said I really wasn't paying attention to our conversation.  I was getting irritated with her for not understanding what I was saying.  Honestly I thought she was just messing me with by playing dumb.  I'm sure we sounded so hilarious and stupid.  I finally looked up from my craft to see she had two paper tulips in her hands.

If you haven't caught on by now, she thought I was saying the flowers were called "lups" or "lips" (she couldn't quite catch that part because I must say tulip differently depending on how fast I'm talking) and there were TWO of them.  Two Lups.  Duh.

1 comment :

  1. Oh my goodness, reminds me of when I tried speaking in Hindi!

    ReplyDelete